About Lesley University:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Lesley University is highly regarded for its graduate and undergraduate programs in education, the arts, and applied social sciences. Lesley fosters a highly creative environment in which innovative ideas thrive, theory is integrated with practice and its 7,000 students and 83,000 alumni are empowered to improve and enrich communities.
The Summer Compass Program is a 7-week academic summer program with a recreational component for
Cambridge Public Schools students. The first week is devoted to staff orientation and curriculum and classroom set up, followed by the 6-week program for children. The students selected for the program range from prekindergarten to grade five and represent a wide range of abilities and talents as well as cultural and linguistic diversity. A team consisting of a mentor teacher, 1-2 general and special education student teachers, and 1-2 reading specialist student teachers staffs each inclusive classroom of approximately 25 students. The mentor teacher models effective classroom practices while providing training and supervision to student teachers. Teaching teams create their own unique environments using project-based thematic instruction. The Compass program is committed to the principles of inclusion and the mentoring model. The challenge and professional growth opportunities of Compass may be the perfect way to spend your summer. We invite you and your colleagues to apply for this dynamic position as a mentor teacher.
- The position is responsible for the overall management of the daily classroom experience for approximately 25 Cambridge public School students. In addition, the position must:
- Become familiar with individual students' IEP's and other information offered by the school.
- As part of a teaching team, lead student teachers in curriculum development and implementation; model teaching strategies and best practices.
- Guide student teachers through all phases of field experience, offering feedback, support and supervision.
- As part of a team of mentor teachers, meet weekly with curriculum coordinator/director for: planning, discussion, program coordination and problem solving.
- Oversee participation in Summer Compass community experience (e.g. swimming, breakfast, lunch, family involvement activities, field trips, etc.)
- Master's degree.
- Certification in Early Childhood, Elementary Education, ELL, and/or Moderate Disabilities.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience as a head teacher in a classroom.
- Must be available to participate in the following schedule:
- Training and Match Event: Saturday, June 10, 2017 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Set-up week: June 26 - June 30, 2017
- Program dates: July 5 - August 11, 2017 from approximately 7:45 am - 4:00 pm, Mon - Fri
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States; if you hold a visa, your visa status must allow you to work at Lesley University.
- Prior experience supervising student teachers and classroom assistants, and/or mentoring first year teachers is desirable.
BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL POSITIONS
Lesley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to increasing the diversity of the university community and the curriculum. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are encouraged to apply.
A cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references must be included for full consideration.
Applications will be reviewed upon the establishment of an appropriate pool of candidates.