Position Purpose: The Part-time Teacher for Challenger Center for Science and Technology of Aurora University (CLCST)is responsible for instructional activities at the Challenger Learning Center. This position facilitates programming in Mission Control, Space Station, StarLab, robotics and other STEM instructional activities. This is a part-time position for 15-20 hours per week.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Independently facilitate programming in Mission Control, the Space Station module, StarLab and the hands-on science classrooms for elementary and middle school children as well as other guests of Challenger Learning Center.
- Facilitate orientation room pre-briefing, mid-mission briefing, and post-briefing inorientation room when time allows.
- Facilitate greeting of school groups upon arrival in the morning and departure of school groups in the afternoon.
- Perform program set-up and clean-up on a daily basis including supplies and materials inventory.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Provide instruction to a wide variety of audiences, i.e. teachers, parents, children, school administrators, civic leaders, business community leaders, etc.
- Provide facilitation for a variety of CLCST programming including, but not limited to, teacher workshops, student workshops, special events, corporate missions, boy scout badge preparation and camps.
- Assist in program evaluation and curriculum development as a member of the Challenger Learning Center educational team.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required. Major in elementary or middle education preferred.
- Two to three years teaching experience preferred, with at least one year at the 5th - 9th grade level. STEM background preferred.
- Ability to relate well to elementary and middle school students necessary.
- Excellent communication and pedagogical skills in an experiential learning environment required.
- Demonstrates a creative, innovative approach to teaching.
- Lifelong learner in regard to astronomy, space science and other STEM disciplines.
- Computer knowledge essential.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of staff, teachers and students and to develop strong working relationships with colleagues, faculty, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
- Flexibility with an evolving work situation.
- Valid Illinois driver's license; ability to occasionally travel to off-site events, andbusinesses, providing own vehicle.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Ability to move about at the facility, to include simulation materials and technical equipment.
- Ability to move about to off-site activities.
- Ability to interact via telephone, in person and via electronic media.
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the 21st century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the greater Chicago area.