| Location: Binghamton, NY Category: Faculty Posted On: Thu Nov 19 2015 Job Description: |
Full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor who has experience in musical theater to teach all levels of jazz/musical theater dance, and ballet or contemporary/modern dance technique (or both.) In addition to teaching, each year this position will be responsible for either choreographing the department musical theater production, or the mainstage dance production, and will also provide leadership and direction to students in the dance concentration. The ideal candidate will be a proven artist-teacher, maintaining substantial creative accomplishments in their professional discipline, able to expand the department's artistic and teaching profile, and responsive to the needs of its diverse and ambitious student population.
A specialization in one or more of the major modern dance techniques: Graham, Horton, etc. And for ballet: Balanchine, Cecchetti, etc. is preferred. Similarly, a specialization in Luigi or Fosse, etc for jazz/musical theater dance is also preferred. Other areas of teaching expertise that would be desirable but not required include: dance composition, dance history, somatic practice/movement analysis, dance anatomy and kinesiology, world/global dance forms, or dance technology/new media performance. The candidate will have a commitment to creative collaboration, teaching excellence, and a respectful and inclusive environment that uses mentoring techniques designed to increase the likelihood of success for every student. In addition, this person will be expected to play an active role in organizational duties, administrative duties and the recruitment, retention and guidance of students.
- Be able to teach all levels of musical theater jazz and contemporary/modern dance or ballet.
- Choreograph either the mainstage musical or the mainstage dance show each year.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Theatre Department dance concentration and its students.
- Teach support classes in the dance area in one or more of these specializations: dance composition, dance history, somatic practice/movement analysis, dance anatomy and kinesiology, world/global dance forms, or dance technology/new media performance.
- Advise student dancers and choreographers in academic and production related areas.
- Collaborate on productions/projects with fellow faculty.
- Participate in organization, administrative and recruitment activities of the department.
- MFA preferred
- Candidates with a BFA/BA/BS considered
- Specialization in musical theater dance
- Contemporary/modern dance or ballet specialization
- Choreography experience
- Significant professional and/or educational theater dance experience
- Commitment to an ongoing professional career or creative work/research
- Ability to build an inclusive learning environment