Physical Education Teacher Education
San José State University
Subject to Budgetary Approval
Job Opening ID (JOID): 23816
Rank: Assistant Professor (Tenure-track)
1. Earned Doctorate in Physical Education-Teacher Education or closely related field by start of appointment. Adapted Physical Education background highly desirable;
2. Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate level physical education teacher education courses, supervise student teachers/interns, advise in the area of specialization, and teach general education and/or physical activity classes. Ability to teach courses in adapted physical education highly desired;
3. Ability to model excellence in teaching physical education teacher education; experience in teaching physical education to children in US public schools highly desirable;
4. Knowledge of California K-12 physical education content standards desirable; ability to plan and implement the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Program Standards for physical education in undergraduate curriculum;
5. Ability to work collegially to develop contemporary interdisciplinary research and teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, with special interest in physical activity and/or disability/physical activity;
6. Demonstrated potential for excellence in scholarly research;
7. Must have a general pedagogy background and experience in Kinesiology along with theoretical knowledge of the field;
8. Applicants should have awareness of and sensitivity to educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
1. Teach general physical education teacher education courses at the undergraduate level. Teaching assignment may also include teaching general education, activity, and graduate coursework, in addition to committee work, student advising, and student teacher/intern supervision;
2. Direct and grow the overall general physical education teacher education program; oversee the placement of student teachers; maintain collaboration with local schools, and generate community support and involvement in the pedagogy program;
3. Plan, implement, and report data to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) APE professional preparation program provided in the undergraduate and open university curriculum; Maintain appropriate CCTC accreditations as required;
4. Apply knowledge and skills using an interdisciplinary approach to Kinesiology;
5. Integrate and build bridges across the sub-disciplines within the Kinesiology Department and collaborate with other departments across the university;
6. Conduct scholarly research, develop grants, present professional papers, and publish in peer-reviewed journals;
7. Serve on graduate thesis and project committees, and advise students at the undergraduate level;
8. Serve on department, college, and university committees as appropriate;
9. Candidate must address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language, and academic preparation – through course materials, teaching strategies, and advisement.
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting Date: August 21, 2017
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/ philosophy, research plans, and at least three original letters of reference with contact information by October 16, 2016 to http://apply.interfolio.com/37512. Position open until filled.
Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) on all correspondence.
Dr. Matthew Masucci, Chair
Department of Kinesiology
San José State University
San José, CA 95192-0054
Phone (408) 924-3021
Fax (408) 924-3053
For more information on the Department of Kinesiology, see: www.sjsu.edu/kinesiology
San José State University is California's oldest institution of public higher learning. The campus is located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000), hub of the world-famous Silicon Valley high-technology research and development center. Many of California's most popular national, recreational, and cultural attractions are conveniently close. A member of the 23-campus CSU system, San José State University enrolls approximately 30,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The latest San José State University Safety 101 Uniform Campus Crime and Security Report is available. You may request a copy of San José State University's annual safety report by contacting the University Police Department at (408) 924-2222 or by visiting the University Police Department website at (http://www.sjsu.edu/police.)
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency